More Americans choose to have their federal tax returns electronically filed every year. A total of 95 million federal tax returns were e-filed in 2009. The efile program supports this growing trend toward electronic tax filing and payment with benefits like:
* Faster Refunds * No paper return to mail
* Greater Accuracy * File now and pay later
* Secure and confidential submission * Quick confirmation
Efile (electronic filing) is a method of making your tax filing directly to the IRS electronically. You can complete your taxes or file for an extension without sending any paper forms to the IRS. E-filing offers speed, security and accuracy and helps you get your refund faster. The average refund for an e-filed federal tax return is received within 10 days. The average refund for a traditional return is received in 6 to 8 weeks.
In addition to e-filing your federal tax return, you can electronically pay any taxes you might owe the IRS. Authorize an electronic funds withdrawal, pay with a credit card or enroll in the U.S. Treasury's Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS).
E-File for Business and Self-Employed Taxpayers
Whether you're a business, big or small, or are self-employed you'll find an e-file for business tax filing option that meets your needs. Use IRS e-file for Employment Tax Returns, Information Returns, Partnerships, Corporations, Estates & Trusts, plus Exempt Organizations.
- The IRS is making it easier for you to conduct business electronically.
- Ask your tax professional about filing and paying electronically.
- Quick - Tell your accountant "I want the safety and speed of IRS e-file."
- Easy - There is a 99 percent accuracy rate.
- Smart! - Within 48 hours, the IRS sends an official acknowledgement that your return was received. Owe money? You can authorize an electronic withdrawal from your savings or checking account or use a credit card to pay your taxes. You can also use the EFTPS system.